Effective and Ethical Use of Scripts, Tags, and Cookies on Your Websites
Sign up for a free 15-minute consult with a privacy expert
For 30 years, companies have heavily utilized cookies, scripts, tags, and pixels on their websites.
These technologies, fundamental to data collection and tracking user behavior, have played a pivotal role in shaping our digital advertising landscape. However, the effectiveness of digital advertising hinges on the appropriate configuration of these tools. Too often, these elements fail to fire due to:
- Incorrect setup on the website;
- Incorrect configuration in your tag management system;
- False signal capture for opt-ins and opt-outs
Each failure represents a missed opportunity for ad placement or proper performance measurement. To ensure the maximum potential of your advertising efforts, these technologies must be deployed accurately and audited regularly.
At the same time, there are many people who do not want personalized or targeted advertising.
They may choose to opt-out of data sharing for personalized ads, or leverage newer protocols like the Global Privacy Control to communicate their aversion to such ads. Disregarding these opt-outs isn’t just ethically questionable, it also misdirects your ad spend towards uninterested users.
Therefore, respecting user privacy and choice should be an integral part of your advertising strategy.
In recent years, the audit and review of websites for ad-sharing technologies were laborious manual tasks. Marketing teams had to conduct manual, repeated reviews of their sites and configurations, and test repeatedly by hand to see if the site was performing.
Now, a modern marketing stack will also include the following technologies:
- Automated Scans: Your choice management tool should enable automatic scanning of your websites and digital properties to identify and rectify any issues with your tracking technologies, making the process far more efficient and accurate than manual methods.
- Identification of Failing Technologies: Beyond scanning, your choice management technology should identify the technologies on your site that are not firing correctly, ensuring your advertisements are functioning and measured accurately for visitors who want personalized content.
- Effective Enforcement of Consumer Choices: Perhaps one of the most critical features of your choice management tools will be its ability to uphold consumer choices.Any consumer choice platform should capture those users who don’t desire personalized experiences or don’t want their data shared for such purposes. Ad spending on users uninterested in personalized ads is not only economically imprudent but also infringes on various privacy laws, including the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), and other state privacy laws.
WireWheel’s Universal Preference and Consent Platform
WireWheel is proud to support our customers through our Universal Privacy and Compliance Platform (UPCP).
This advance too allows you to respect and implement user choices, ensuring legal compliance and optimizing your ad spend. WireWheel’s UPCP includes automated scanning, testing to ensure the permitted pixels, scripts, and tags are firing, and full enforcement of consumer opt-outs.
In today’s digital marketing environment, where privacy laws are increasingly stringent and user demands continuously evolving, WireWheel’s UPCP emerges as a crucial tool for modern businesses to ensure your technologies are functioning as they should, all while respecting user privacy and making the most of your ad spend.